Monday, June 16, 2008

My Fair Lady (1964)

My problem with this movie has always been that Audrey Hepburn is not believable as a street wretch. She sounds more like she is putting on airs as the street wretch than she does as the fine lady. It's just hard to watch - kind of like the accents in Oklahoma!

I hear that Julie Andrews played the part on Broadway very well, but she didn't get the part in the movie so we'll never know if she would have been better. I'm very fond of JA so I'd like to believe that she would have been better, but, then again, I'm very fond of AH, too, and that doesn't make me like her for this part any more.

Anyhow, I also can't stand the rest of the characters...the whole play just kind of grates on me, only I like some of the music. I could have danced all night, in particular. Actually, maybe that's the only song I like.

Anyhow, one star, I really can't be bothered with this one any more. Will not watch ever again.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Yes, "I Could Have Danced All Night" is a good song. But what about "Wouldn't it be Loverly," "On the Street Where You Live," or "Get Me to the Church on Time?" I am not going to argue about your stars, but there is a lot of good music in this musical... or at least there is if you listen to the Broadway recording.