Monday, September 1, 2008

Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948)

What a silly movie.  Mr. Peabody (William Powell) hears, goes searching for, and then fishes from the sea (dare I say kidnaps?) a young mermaid.  The mermaid is of course completely content to swim around in Mr. Peabody's fancy goldfish pond, just as long as he will kiss her every once in a while.  Did I mention there is a somewhat suspecting but also confused by the particulars Mrs. Peabody?

There is water-spitting, lying, swimming, a psychiatrist... 

One star for the moment in the film when a woman who desperately wants to win Mr. Peabody's attention goes swimming in the fish pond and has an underwater fight with the mermaid.  But that's all.  Go rent I Married a Witch.

3 comments:

daphne said...

I loved this movie when I was a little girl in the 1950s and I'd love to see it again after all these years. I wonder why it's never been on TV? (Being a bad movie doesn't seem to prevent TV stations from showing them.)

Jessica said...

I tracked the movie down by calling video stores! It's out there...

Ms. Q said...

So...was this is was this not the inspiration for Splash?